Thursday, February 5, 2009

How Could This Movie Be Snubbed?

If you are a major movie fan like me you are inevitably annoyed at what films get nominated for Academy Awards and which ones do not. Now I must admit to my readers (hopefully there are more than four) that I have not seen several of the heavily nominated movies. I don't really have an interest in Benjamin Button and I am hoping to see The Wrestler this weekend. However, I did recently see Gran Torino and must tell you that I loved that film. Why did I feel so strongly about the movie? Well, let's see: 1) the storyline was powerful--to see Clint Eastwood's character change from a racist individual to someone who shows compassion towards those he once disliked is extremely gripping (and I won't say any more, at the risk of leaking spoilers); 2) the acting is phenomenal; and 3) the film caused the audience to have many emotions--happiness, sadness, anger being some of them. Yes I know that Clint Eastwood has won at the Academy Awards before but I hope that the Oscar nominating process did not snub him this time around because he has already experienced the joy of winning in the past.

No comments: